The Module-in-Package (MIP), a Tiny Form Factor (TFF) memory module from SMART Modular Technologies, is designed for applications such as broadcast video, mobile routing, high-end video/graphics cards and embedded computing, as well as anywhere where maximizing DRAM capacity in a limited space is a primary concern, such as military, aerospace and automotive applications. The MIP with DDR3 and DDR4 technology, additional bypass capacitors, thermal sensor and terminating resistors and optional EDD function can be used instead of an SO-DIMM and/or discrete DRAM to double the memory density while using only 1/5 of the space.
Other advantages of the MIP over on-board DRAM:
- 42% power savings, 42% jitter reduction and 39% PK/PK savings
- Point-to-point connectivity. Simplify circuit design and PCB routing.
- Create one component (MIP) instead of multiple parts such as DRAM, capacitors and resistors.
- The MIP takes care of the timing, terminating resistors and decoupling of all necessary signals.
- Easier replacement through drop-and-play approach. With an on-board DRAM solution, the entire motherboard must be replaced in the event of a defect.
Last but not least, space efficiency on the PCB can be further improved by placing the MIP (with a high riser) on the on-board circuit to double the density and to have 2 x64 channels. The MIP uses SMART's comprehensive stacking technology for new markets and new applications. It meets OEMs' needs for faster memory in space-saving cube computing applications for networking, telecommunications and embedded markets.
Do you have questions about Smart's MIP? As an authorized distributor, we maintain a very close exchange with Smart and will be happy to advise you with our many years of experience in selecting the right components and possible adaptations. Please contact us!