Advantages of COB LEDs
Compared to conventional THT or SMD LEDs, COB LEDs offer a number of advantages:
- Low failure rates due to fewer solder joints & thermal management
- Homogeneous intensity distribution without optical hot spots
- Better heat dissipation through lower thermal resistance
- Very high luminous efficacy / cm²
- Optimal combination with secondary optics
- Better energy efficiency class
- Low light loss
- Higher viewing angle
- Better color mixing
COB LEDs from Seoul Semiconductor with multi-junction LED technology
With patented Multi-Junction LED (MJT) technology, Seoul Semiconductor has launched a whole new generation of COB LEDs that divide the LED chips into several integrated cells. At 168 lm / W, Seoul Semiconductor's COB LEDs achieve the world's highest luminous efficacy
. This high luminance is achieved with only 54 chips - conventional COB products require 144 chips for it. The decrease in the number of chips required in particular reduces the problems caused by wire connections (the main cause of defects in COB products) and thus prolongs their life.
Examples of use for chip-on-board LEDs
COB LEDs can be used in a wide variety of applications, especially in those where high quality and high efficiency are required. COB-LED modules are increasingly being used as a replacement for metal halide lamps in applications such as street lighting or indoor farming, but also in salesrooms.